Several months back I deliberated whether or not to roll with an internal or external transducer mount for my fishing kayak. There's pros and cons to both concepts and at the time I was looking to get around some of the cons I'd experienced with an external transducer installation. The main problem I'd encountered in the past was that when used in an AI, at higher speeds the RAM socket mount (long 'b' size) that attached the transducer would cause mild cavitation, resulting in slight a slowdown and skewered steering and sometimes cause the socket arm and transducer to swing upwards out of position. So I got to thinking about ways around that.
My first attempt involved using C sized RAM single socket arms, which I figured would offer more gripping power than b size components and although right about that, these added up in weight. So then I looked back at the B size components and thought about away to reduce resistance and make the transducer mount a little more hydro-dynamic. My solution was to modify the way in which the transducer was attached to the hull of the kayak. Looking at the vast collection of hardware and mounting components I had lying around, I came up with this:
It's actually pretty close in concept to my old external set up, employing the 'Balls of Steel' Ram-to-bung adaptor to provide a 1" mount ball at the stern of the kayak. Attached to this is a standard length socket arm (composite to reduce weight and eliminate powder-coating peeling). This attaches to a diamond base alloy 1" RAM mount with rubber ball, which I selected over a composite version for increased holding power where it counts. Attached to the base of the diamond mount are two individual stainless steel connectors (borrowed from turnbuckles) that extend down to the Lowrance transducer mounting hardware.
This arrangement allows the user to attach the transducer with more options for depth and positioning, as well as creating less drag through the water. In the end I decided to just stick with my internal mount (mainly because I couldn't be bothered removing it) but for sure, this set up is superior to what I was using previously, even if it's pretty close.